6 Tips to Improve Your Leadership Skills on A Daily Basis
Communicate, listen, know how to interpret to make the best decisions… Leadership is worked on and is a skill that is particularly appreciated in companies. How to develop your sense of leadership? Here are seven tips from professionals to help you increase your impact daily and become an inspiring leader.
- Identify your leadership potential
- Set a course and know how to communicate it
- Beware of perceptions to avoid misinterpretations
- Ask yourself the question of why and not how: dare to trust
- Understand the importance of listening and put it into practice
- Be proactive!
1. Identify Your Leadership Potential For Improve Your Leadership Skills
What is leadership? Being a leader is not a function, nor an official title, but a way of being charismatic that tends to seduce his professional entourage and bear fruit in terms of results.
Why you need to Improve Your Leadership Skills?
Will you be the next leader of your company? Are you wondering how to evolve in your company, and why not access higher positions? Working on your leadership can help you! Leadership is a skill that is particularly valued among executives.
The leader can adapt his conduct to help his team members or colleagues develop their skills so that they themselves can evolve.
Today, the leader manager must be able to infuse the how-to-do, the how-to-say, and the how-to-be. Improving your leadership means guaranteeing an inevitable evolution in the company towards positions of responsibility. In the professional world, leadership is the prerogative of great chefs. If it can be innate, it can also be worked and acquired with experience!
How do you know if you are a leader?
Would your colleagues and manager say you are a leader? If the answer is no, it is undoubtedly a quality to work on. But how do you know if you’re a leader? Several personality traits can put you on the trail and allow you to identify your potential leadership. Especially:
- Be recognized as such by those around you.
- Have certain relational ease.
- Be a force of proposal.
- Be able to speak in public.
- Be endowed with a certain charisma.
- One or more positive responses can put you on the trail of leadership.
2. Set A Course and Know How to Communicate It for Improve Your Leadership Skills
The leader must, above all, define a vision and sustainable principles that will guide his action daily.
For example, a sales manager who leads a team will have to ask himself what his business vision is: should we instead focus on listening to his customers or rely solely on his offer and put it forward? Setting a clear vision is decisive to be then able to communicate it.
Like Steve Jobs and his ‘think different’ policy, this will give meaning to employees and inspire them.
3. Beware Of Perceptions to Avoid Misinterpretations for Improve Your Leadership Skills
“One of the exercises I regularly practice with participants in training is to take an object like a painting, to try to bring out the difference between what we see, think, and feel by looking at it,” says Valérie Gauthier, professor at HEC and leadership specialist.
Use your sense of observation to be more vigilant in the face of interpretations.
When we express what we think we see, that’s actually what we’re interpreting. In reality, we mix everything.” Carried out regularly, this exercise will allow you to think differently about your professional relationships on a daily basis and thus,
4. Ask Yourself the Question of Why, And Not How: Dare to Trust to Improve Your Leadership Skills
Trust is one of the essential characteristics of leadership. Confidence in oneself, but also others. If the manager wonders how to do things, a leader wonders why it is necessary to do it to release energy. He is there to break down obstacles, to shake up habits. Trusting and delegating effectively will allow you to think about other issues.
5. Understand The Importance of Listening and Put It into Practice to Improve Your Leadership Skills
Be accessible, open to dialogue. For a leader, listening is more important than talking.
To develop your ability to listen, there is a practical exercise consisting of closing your eyes for three minutes, focusing on all the surrounding noises, and then noting those that remain in your memory.
Objective: To dissociate pleasant sounds from those that are not.
When we listen, the brain intervenes and interprets what we hear. This auditory perception exercise helps remedy this by increasing one’s ability to discern hearing from accurate perception.
6. Be Proactive! to Improve Your Leadership Skills
There are two possibilities to be recognized as a leader: either to derive legitimacy from expertise in a field of human management. In other words, it knows how to motivate and manage like sports coaches who have never been great professionals.
To increase the status as a leader, only action takes precedence. Be proactive in initiating changes if necessary—the opportunity to set a good example and thus create a ripple effect around you.
The Seven Different Leadership Roles
You need to be well aware that you, as a leader, influence your social environment and your department. The position you hold has hierarchical importance, but it is also linked to a certain status. Your employees, colleagues, and supervisors expect you to behave in the role of the leader.
The Role of The Leader to Improve Your Leadership Skills
“The best executive is one who has sense enough to pick good people to do what he wants to be done and self-restraint enough to keep from meddling with them while they do it.”Theodore Roosevelt
Your success in the leadership role lies in your ability to meet expectations by adopting ad hoc behavior. You obviously cannot explicitly know all the expectations put on you. Expectations result from a complex dynamic that is part of your company’s tasks, structure, and culture. You add your expectations with your values, wishes, and representations.
Expectations of people in the leadership role must be clear
An important task you must take on as a leader is to be clear about the expectations that the environment is entitled to have of you and your skills in your role. This is especially important if you are taking on the part of the leader for the first time. Of course, there are always dark areas in practice, and it is almost impossible to formulate in advance and accurately all facets of expectations. That’s why you should quickly clarify your new obligations.
Everything Is Ready – How to Live the Role of The Leader?
When expectations about your tasks and skills are sufficiently clarified, and the framework conditions are created, everything is in place to effectively assume your new leadership role. It is now up to you to decide how you intend to live this role, even in the face of resistance and challenging conditions. To do this, you need the authority to resolve conflicts. You will indeed be put to the test for a while.
The way you identify with your new role means ipso facto also keeping some distance. You must effectively structure the process of defining the part of the leader, the organization, and the experience. Your collaborators, colleagues, supervisors, and all other stakeholders expect you. But what you do with your role depends first and foremost on yourself.
To Summarize the article of the Improve Your Leadership Skills
Just by reading this article, you won’t turn into an undisputed leader; only you have the power, but here are some tips to help you achieve it:
- Skills – distinguish between soft-skill teams and teams with more specific skills. Depending on the size of the team, the two can be interrelated.
- Clear communication – communicate effectively with the different team members and clearly define the role that each will play in the project. Also, explain the relationship between the project and the company’s objectives.
- Enthusiasm – if you lack enthusiasm, your team will lack motivation. This is especially true when you have earned the trust of your team.
- Autonomy – both individually and collectively, team members must make decisions, taking into account specific parameters.
- Moral strength – You must demonstrate this rare and precious quality and encourage others to develop it.
- Creativity – do not be frightened by creativity; instead, try to encourage it. As General Patton said, “Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do, and they will surprise you with their ingenuity”.
- Evaluation – it is essential to have indicators to measure your team’s performance.
- “Make it fun” – life is too short to spend 35 hours a week in a company with unmotivated and pessimistic colleagues. As a leader, you have a role in creating a good atmosphere at work.
The team structure must be well understood by each team member. By explaining to each team member what their exact role will be within the team, they will know why they belong and what added value they can bring. That is how a true leader can lead and create revolutions in the process.